Instant Lemon Pickle


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

As of the first week of March 2015, for the records in the past ten days we have had only 6 hours of sunshine and in between record- breaking ice rains, snowfalls and everything in between. We have had similar weather patterns in Dallas in the past during December-January time frame. Not in March! I am by no means comparing the weather with the folks that have to put up with incessant snowfalls for the whole of winter. But yeah, the weather in Dallas has been  pretty uncertain.



My Mom was very well known among her family and  friends for her lemon pickle. When I was younger, all I did was helped  her to wipe the lemons dry as it was made in stages. Mom took utmost care to choose the best lemons, washed them well, dried them well and made sure there was not a drop of moisture present at any stage. Then when all the spices were added, it was put into tall ceramic pickle jars tightly secured with a cloth, tied with a string and then the lid placed over the cloth  It was put away in a dark corner and mixed every couple days until the juice softened the flesh. After the pickle reached the right stage to be tempered, it was tempered and stored at room temperature for months.

For over a decade, Mom has made and sent her lemon pickle every time I have asked for it. Now, I have come up with my version for an instant pickle that allows me to skip all those stages of  patient waiting and  is so convenient that it can be made in less than an hour. The pickle has just the right amount of tang, is  super saucy and tastes fantastic and can be used in so many ways. However, it has to be stored in the refrigerator. I have even shared this recipe with my Mom and she has made it and was very proud of me:)

Ingredients:

Lemons-5 ripe and juicy (washed and patted dry)
Water-a pot full
Salt-to taste
Turmeric Powder-1 tsp
Asafoetida -1/2 tsp(powdered)
Green Pepper-2-3 slit
Fresh Garlic-1 tbs, sliced

For tempering

Oil-2 tbs
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves-8-10

Directions:

1.Bring the water to a rolling boil in a stainless steel pot.

2. Carefully place the lemons into the pot and reduce the heat to a medium and allow them to cook for 10 minutes.

3. Turn the stove off and remove the lemons with a slotted spoon and allow them to cool completely.

4. Cut the lemons into small pieces and discard the seeds.

5. Sprinkle the salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and mix well.

6. Put  in the garlic and green peppers.

7. Heat oil and put in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and turn off the stove.

8. Put in the curry leaves and allow them to turn crispy.

9. Allow the tempering mixture to  cool completely.

10. Pour the oil mixture over the lemon pieces and give it gentle mix.

11. Transfer the lemon pickle into a clean glass jar and secure it with a lid and refrigerate it.

13. Enjoy!








2 comments:

  1. I am not a pickle fan... but love the way your pickle looks... that bowl is cute! 6 hours of sunshine??? Ya Allah... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother has a lemon tree and she too makes lemon achaar :) Love how vibrant the achaar looks juxtaposed with the snow!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.