This is a recipe for those days when you don't want to cook, yet have no other choice:) I have used canned sardines that are wild caught, in olive oil. They are soft, yet firm and do not disintegrate while cooking. When cooked in a thick tomato gravy, turns out finger-licking good. Read on and make sure you cook them soon if you already have some sardines around.
Sardines in olive oil- 1 can
Tomatoes -4 medium, peeled and cubed
Salt- to taste
Kashmiri Pepper Powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Onions-1 small, sliced
Cilantro- to garnish
1. Heat oil in a medium sized pot and add onions to it and fry them until they turn golden brown.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir fry for a brief minute.
3. Put in the tomatoes and fry until pulpy.
4. Add the salt, pepper powder, turmeric powder and allow the ingredients to come together and the oil separates itself from the tomatoes.
5. Add the sardines along with the oil and stir them around carefully and reduce the heat to a medium and cook for five minutes.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.