Pan-Fried Taro Chips




Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

A very warm Welcome to the new readers here and a warmer one to the old ones:) I have been out of the loop for a while. I have missed reading posts on my favorite blogs. I have to say,  staying away from blogging and dedicating my time to other important things in life has renewed my interestt in blogging. I think a break from the routine does a lot of good to you.

Lately,  it has been unusually cold in Dallas. For a couple more days the temperature is going to linger around the teens or lower 20's. I wouldn't mind if it was accompanied with some snow. The cold temperatures have made me prefer the indoors and cook up something warm and hot. I decided to cook some Taro chips. Not deep fried but pan fried:)

 Taro, which is also called arbi in Urdu or Hindi, is a  starchy root vegetable with a lot of health benefits. It can be cooked in many ways, with meat or without meat,  dry or in a gravy.  This version of arbi fry  is my favorite to be served piping hot on an extremely cold winter afternoon. It could be served as a snack or as a side dish with any regular meal. It is super crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. With very few ingredients, read on and see how you can cook your taro chips next time:)

Ingredients:

Taro bulbs-5 medium sized, boiled, peeled and cut into round discs
Salt- to taste
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Red pepper powder-to taste
Black pepper powder- to taste
Cumin powder-1 tsp
Coriander powder-1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Corn Starch-2 tbs
Oil-to fry
Fresh Cilantro-to garnish
Lemon wedges-a few to sprinkle their juice

Directions:

1. In a wide tray, place the boiled taro chips and rub the ginger-garlic paste  on them and sprinkle salt, flipping them over to make sure all the discs have been coated with salt and ginger-garlic paste evenly.

2. In a bowl, make a mixture of the turmeric powder, red pepper powder, lack pepper powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and corn starch and mix well.

3. Sprinkle this spice mixture over all the discs and flip them over again to coat them well.

4. Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat and place each disc carefully and fry them until they have turned a nice golden brown color and crispy in texture.

5. Flip them over and allow them to cook on the other side too.

6. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving plate.

7. Drizzle some lemon juice and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.

8.Enjoy!



6 comments:

  1. The temperatures are hovering around the 16-20 mark in the mornings, but afternoon and evenings are unpleasantly warm! :( This time the winter is just not coming... pls pass me on that platter, I would love to munch on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am done with the cold weather already Rafeeda!

      One day in sha Allah, We shall meet and eat together in sha ALlah.

      Delete
  2. Even warmer welcome back to you Familycook! I'm so glad to see you back. Those chips seem amazingly simple to make and delish! I will be going to get some taro and trying this one out soon, in sha Allah. Jazakum Allah Khayran for such a nice recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.