Baklava



Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Baklava is a delicate "middle eastern" dessert that consists of thin and crispy layers of baked phyllo dough (can be bought from any grocery store from the freezer section) that has been baked with lots of butter between each layer and a nut mixture in the middle and topped with more layers of the phyllo dough. Once it comes out of the oven, it is quickly doused with sugar syrup and allowed to cool before serving.



I was like most of you, who would just marvel at this tiny piece of store-bought  dessert, carefully biting into the flakey layers  and thought it was too complicated to even attempt making at home. However,  a few minutes after I ate it, it made me feel it was overly sweet and had loads of butter  and most of all, tasted stale. Inspite of all that, I still looked forward to eating it.



Once I decided to make it by myself at home, I was amazed by how easy it was to assemble it and bake it while controlling the portions of butter and sugar that went into making it. And talk about it's freshness, it tasted like something I never tasted before. I promise you, you will never like to eat store bought baklava once you make it yourself. If I can make it, anybody can. Period.  Please do yourself a favor. Follow my recipe and make yourself some baklava and amaze yourselves, your family and friends and post your comments below this post and let me know how wonderful your baklava tasted in shaa Allah.



Ingredients:

Phyllo dough- 1 package( thawed and brought to room temperature).
Butter-4ozs, melted to a liquid consistency
Sugar-1 cup
Water- 1 cup
Lemon Juice-1 tsp
Rose Water-2 tbs
Walnuts-2 cups (coarsely ground)

Directions:

1. Bring to a boil, one cup of water in a sauce pan along with a cup of sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour the lemon juice and turn off the stove. Add the rose water and turn off the stove and set aside.

2. Pour two tablespoons of the sugar syrup and two tablespoons of butter over the ground nuts and mix well and set aside.


3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

4. Grease a 9inch  by 13 inch glass baking dish.

5. Cut open the bag of phyllo dough and place it on a working surface.

6. Cut the stack of phyllo sheets in half along it's width.

7. Place two layers of the sheets into the baking sheet at a time and apply butter generously all over the sheet.

8. Repeat the process until you are done with one stack of the cut sheets.

9. Spread the nut mixture evenly all over the phyllo sheet.

10. Repeat the layering of sheets with strokes of liquid butter until all the sheets are done.

11. Apply one last round of butter on the top sheet.

12. Use a spatula or a butter knife and tuck in the edes of the phyllo sheets agaings the walls of the baking dish.

13. Use a sharp pairing knife and gently cut the assembled sheets into shapes of your choice.

14. Put the baking dish into the pre-heated oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.

15.  Turn off the oven and pull out the baking dish and place it on the kitchen counter and pour the sugar syrup into the creases of freshly baked baklava and not on the top. That way the top remains crispy and the nut mixture and the bottom layers abrorb the liquid.

16.  Leave it to cool completely and serve.

17. Enjoy


Notes:

1. You may use vegetable oil or even coconut oil in place of butter.

2. reduce or increase the amount of sugar as per your taste.

3. While assembling the layers of phyllo, work quickly as it tends to dry up and break.

4. If you think your sheets are less moist and tend to break easily, you might want to cover the unused sheets of the dough with a damp cloth.















3 comments:

  1. I love baklava, but just like you said, sometimes I feel the ones outside are just too stale... looks so good, I wish you were my neighbour, I would have dropped in right away to enjoy some... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loveee baklava too, and you're so right, it is so easy to make! Looks heat mA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just like the other commentators, I love baklava too!! Never tried making it though. Great recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.