Sago Pudding


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Sago pearls are very tiny white balls that actually look like pearls. They are a starchy, tasteless flavorless product derived from a plant. When soaked they swell up  and  when cooked, turn transluscent. It is used in various kind of preparations both savory and sweet. They are very soothing to the stomach and easy to digest.

I have always had a hate-love relationship with tapioca pearls as a child. I always ran away from any kind of pudding made with  sago pearls, while I could munch on "sabudana papad"or "papadoms" that are sundried  and deep fried sago wafers, all day long. Now, I am discovering so many ways to interestingly use sago pearls in my own kitchen.

This is a pudding that takes a short time  to whip up and serves as a perfect, eye catching dessert.


Ingredients: 

Sago Pearls-1 cup (soaked in water for two hours)
Water-4-cups

Coconut milk-1 cup
Salt-1/4 tsp

Jaggery-2oo gms
Water-1/2 a cup

Directions:

1. Bring water to a boil and add the soaked sago pearls and allow them to cook until translucent.

2. Turn off the stove and drain all the water using a strainer.

3. Put the drained sago pearls in small bowls, cover with a cling wrap and refrigerate for an hour.

4. Heat the coconut milk along with the salt on medium heat until it becomes thinner in consitency.

5. Turn off the stove and set it aside.

6. Heat water along with the jaggery until it boils and turns into a thick syrup .

7. Turn off the stove and set the syrup aside.

8. To assemble and serve,  invert the bowl with the cooked sago onto a serving plate and tap gently to un-mold the sago pearls which take the shape of the bowl when cooled.

9. Pour the coconut milk over the set sago  and drizzle the jaggery syrup and serve.

10. Enjoy!








4 comments:

  1. I just love them! It's been so long since you blogged... hope to see you more in action, InShaAllah... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Rafeeda! In sha Allah you shall definitely see me in action.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you back! What an interesting pudding. I've never seen anything like this!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.