You can actually enjoy crispy fried okra, without deep frying it with only one simple secret ingredient, the corn starch! Corn starch serves many purposes, it could be used as a thickening agent to thicken soups, can be used in baking, used as a coating for pan-frying fish or other vegetables. Since it is a gluten free ingredient, it is an amazing option for those gluten-free recipes.
Kurkuri Bhindi can be served as a snack, an appetizer or even a side dish along with plain white rice and some lentil soup for lunch or dinner.
Okra- 1/2 lb (Washed, patted dry and cut into long slices)
Ginger-Garlic Powder-1 tsp
Kashmiri Chilli powder-1 tsp
Turmeric Powder-1/2 tsp
Garam Masala-1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder-1/2 tsp
Corn Starch-2-3 tbs
1. In a bowl put the cut okra and sprinkle the salt, pepper powder, turmeric powder, Coriander powder, garam masala and finally the corn starch and toss to coat the slices of okra well and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and lay the pieces of okra in one uniform layer.
3. Stir gently and flip the slices over and cook until the mixture turns a golden brown color and the okra turns to a darker green.
4. Once the coating around the okra turns crispy and begins to make a scratchy sound, you know it is done.
5. Turn off the stove and transfer the okra to a serving plate.