Cumin Flavored Raita

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

A yogurt sauce called "Raita" is mostly, always served with Biryani and they complement each other peferctly. However, every household has it own way of making their raita. An additional ingredient or an additional amount of water or reduction of it makes a big difference. Onions are added generally which impart their unique flavor. Herbs, if added would add an extra edge.

I have eaten the same kind of the yogurt sauce all my life in my Mom's home. A slightly different one but consistent one in my Gramma's home. They can never change their recipe and it would just not sound right to them to alter the standard taste they are used to. On the other hand, I, like change-a perpetual one. I like a variation in the food I cook and love to experiment. The raita I have made today is a super-healthy and a cooling accompaniment to a spicy and hot Biryani and a different one than I have eaten when I was younger.The roasted cumin imparts it's smokey flavor as well as it benefits . Next time, you make biryani, and need a variation to you rold raita, do try this:)

Ingredients:

Yogurt-1 cup
Water-1/2 cup or more
Salt-as needed
Ginger-garlic paste-1/2 tsp
Roasted cumin powder-1 tsp
Cilantr0 leaves-as needed

Directions:

1. Whisk together the yogurt and water until well blended.

2. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.

3. Garnish with cilantro leaves and enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. this raita look perfect for biriyanis... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, when you roast cumin for raita is takes it to a whole new level! I picked up this trick when I watched my mother in -law roast zeera for freshly made mint chutney. I love that you kept it simple and I'm sure it tastes amazing with spicy pulaos/biryanis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never added ginger garlic paste to raitas. But it sounds fantastic, especially with roasted cumin :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.