Katli (Tangy Lentil soup with Lamb Meat and Purslane Leaves)

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

This recipe is like a star on my blog, as it happens to be my husband's favorite daal. He grew up eating it once a week and has a lot of memories of his childhood days and his parents associated with it. Purslane, also called verdolaga in Spanish, is one of the many rare things that are known to be grown only in India (until you luckily stumble upon them at your local grocery store).  I read about these incredible edible leaves on www.tasteofbeirut.com a long time ago. I jumped up in excitement and went to a Spanish Grocery Store and bought a couple bunches of the Purslane and made the Katli right away.  I added some lamb meat to it and tempered with cumin seeds and dry red chillies. It turns out to be super creamy, tangy(a little from the tamarind pulp and a little from the purslane leaves) and absolutely delicious. I had never eaten the Katli while in India and I think I  love it now because of it's additional nutritional value. The Katli provides protein, fiber and vitamins all in one place.




Here's what we are gonna need..,



Ingredients:

Tur Daal( Split pigeon Peas)- 1 cup
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Green peppers-2 small
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Water-3-4 cups
Tomatoes-3 small
Tamarind pulp-1/4 cup
Purslane leaves-1-2 cups
Lamb meat -1/4 lbs ( cooked until tender along with one small onion, salt, turmeric powder, and red pepper powder and 2 tsps of oil)

For tempering

Oil-1 tbs
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Dry red chillies-1-2

Directions:

1. Pressure cook the pigeon peas along with water, tomatoes, salt, pepper powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste, green pepper and cumin seeds, until well cooked.

2. Turn the pressure cooker off and allow the pressure to settle.

3. Blend the cooked pigeon peas using a hand blender and add the tamarind pulp.

4. Add more water and salt to get the desired consistency and taste.

5. Put in the purslane leaves and the cooked lamb meat on medium heat bring it to a boil while stirring in between.

6. Transfer to a serving bowl.

7.Heat oil in a saute pan and add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.

8. Put the dry red chillies in and turn off the stove.

9. Wait until the chillies turn dark in color and then carefully pour the tempering onto the soup in the bowl and cover with a lid immediately.





6 comments:

  1. that looks really healthy and yum...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never of this dish, nor have I ever heard of purslane leaves! This sounds so interesting and delicious, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom makes this channa dal.. tastes good too..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.