Chaney Ka Saag (Chickpea leaves Curry)

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahmanir Raheem

It is most likely that most of us don't know that we could actually grow our own chickpea plant very easily and eat it's tender leaves. I have so far only cooked them but am soon going to experiment with eating them raw and how about making a "chickpea leaves smoothie" ? And, I just came up with the idea and shall make it and tell you how it tasted:)



Coming back to the curry, I can confidently say my parents have eaten a lot more green leafy vegetables than we have. What I thought as a kid was true that "those" leafy vegetables were only for the adults to eat:) I am now eating it! However,  I am making the kids eat it too., if not in a curry form, it is in a smoothie form for them. This recipe will find it's way into their kitchen tables when they are adults in sha Allah!




Grow your own chickpea plants and cook your own organic greens. The chickpeas sprout and take a week  to ten days depending on the temperature of the place you live in and the sunlight they get. Once the plant reaches a height of 4-5 inches, use a pair of scissors and cut the stems leaving the rest of the plant in place as they will regrow and you can reuse the leaves. Once you cut them, strip the leaves gently and wash them well before cooking. This curry is served best along with plain Indian bread or some white rice.

Ingredients:

Tender Chickpea leaves-4 cups tightly packed
Toor daal-1/4 cup, soaked
Green peppers-2-3
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Dry coconut powder-1 tbs
Garlic-2 cloves
Water-2 cups.
Oil-1-2 tbs
Salt- to taste
Onion-1/2 sliced



Directions:

1. Grind together the green peppers, garlic, cumin seeds and coconut powder coarsely and set aside.

2. Heat oil in a pot and add the onions and fry them briefly.

3. When they turn transluscent, pour in the ground mixture.

4. Add the chickpea leaves along with the toor daal and water.

5. Cook uncovered on high heat until all the water gets absorbed and the daal starts to look soft.

6. Reduce the heat to a medium-low and cook, with the lid on for 5-8 more minutes or until the daal still holds shape and is fully cooked.

7. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. this is interesting, dear... i was never aware of chickpea leaves!!! yeah, call me ignorant... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating post.. Very innovative dear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mashallah looks healthy and delicious... I am gonna plant some chick peas today inshallah.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have had chane ka saag before. you have inspired me to grown the saag. i don't get them here at all. will try growing the chickpea leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ma'ashaAllah, that is ultimate green, organic, sustainable cooking - way to go!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.