Beet Milk

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I have now found the healthiest way to color my milk, whipped cream topping, icings red and pink (for now), without using the store bough,t hard to understand chemicals and sugar laden colors. And I did it by using beet juice. I cut up the beets, boiled them, puréed and strained them using a fine strainer. I have used the beet juice to color my milk and color the frosting for cakes. The recipe for the cake will be shared in a later post. For now, read on to see how I colored my milk:)







Ingredients:

For the beet juice


Beets-2 small sized,cubed
Water2 cups

Directions:

1. In a small saucepan with a lid, add the cubed beets along with the water and bring to a rolling boil.

2. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for ten minutes.

3. Turn off the stove and use a stick blender and purée the beets until smooth and creamy.

4. Use a fine strainer and pour the beet puree and let all the juice drip out.

5. Save the juice in a cup and use it as your heart desires. Remember to use a tiny bit at a time as a little goes a long way:)







For the milk,

Milk-4-6 oz, chilled
Honey-to taste
Beet juice-2-3 tbs

Directions:


1. In a tall serving  cup, pour the chilled milk.

2. Add honey and stir well.

3. Pour in the beet juice and stir once again until you get the desired color.

4. Enjoy!



7 comments:

  1. wow... that looks so good... but tell me one thing dear... i hate that taste of beets, wouldn't it show up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Rafs about hating the beet smell. However, there was no trace of that grassy smell, coz you just need a tiny bit not a whole lot!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of using natural foods to dye things. It's so much healthier than the chemicals and unnatural dyes we find in the market. Love the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! What a healthy, natural way to add some 'blush' to your cake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Aesha! It did add a blush to my cake..., will show it in my next post:)

      Delete
  4. this is so new to me. i usually add pureed beets to yogurt or make cakes or muffins. the pink color is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this and so will my girly-girl daughter! I've always toyed with the idea of using beets to color icing but was always scared of the possibility of the beet smell/taste in the final product. Thanks for sharing this.... Oh the possibilities! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.