I have now found the healthiest way to color my milk, whipped cream topping, icings red and pink (for now), without using the store bough,t hard to understand chemicals and sugar laden colors. And I did it by using beet juice. I cut up the beets, boiled them, puréed and strained them using a fine strainer. I have used the beet juice to color my milk and color the frosting for cakes. The recipe for the cake will be shared in a later post. For now, read on to see how I colored my milk:)
For the beet juice
Beets-2 small sized,cubed
1. In a small saucepan with a lid, add the cubed beets along with the water and bring to a rolling boil.
2. Reduce the heat and let it simmer for ten minutes.
3. Turn off the stove and use a stick blender and purée the beets until smooth and creamy.
4. Use a fine strainer and pour the beet puree and let all the juice drip out.
5. Save the juice in a cup and use it as your heart desires. Remember to use a tiny bit at a time as a little goes a long way:)
For the milk,
Milk-4-6 oz, chilled
Beet juice-2-3 tbs
1. In a tall serving cup, pour the chilled milk.
2. Add honey and stir well.
3. Pour in the beet juice and stir once again until you get the desired color.