Who would refuse this bowl full of goodness, with split lentils and vegetables in one place at the same time? It is a vibrant combination of colors and has a a very delicate flavor with small cubes of tomato in the backdrop. I would love to serve it with plain white rice or some bread.
Chana daal-1 cup, soaked for an hour
Water- as needed
Zucchini-2 medium, cut
Salt- to taste
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Green peppers-2-3, chopped
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Garlic-1 tsp, chopped
Tomatoes-2 medium, cubed
Onion-1/2, finely chopped
Cilantro leaves-a few to garnish
1. Pressure cook the chana daal along with zucchini, salt, turmeric powder until soft and turn off the stove to let the pressure settle down.
2. Heat oil in a saute pan and put the cumin seeds and let sizzle.
3. Add asafoetida, followed by the onions and green peppers and allow them to brown a little.
4. To this mixture add the tomatoes and give it a quick stir and pour the mixture to the pressure cooker with the daal and zucchini and turn on the stove and bring the daal to a boil.
5. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.
6. Garnish with cilantro leaves and enjoy!