Baigan Ka Bharta

Bismillahir Rahmainr raheem
I have been fascinated by eggplants lately and am discovering newer ways of cooking them.  No two recipes I am searching on the web are alike and there are really endless ways of cooking them. Baigan Ka Bharta is a smokey, mushed eggplant side dish.  I already have one recipe for "baigan ka bharta" on my blog. This is just a different one.

Ingredients:

Eggplant-1 big
Salt-to taste
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Tomatoes-3 medium, chopped
Onions-one medium finely cubed
Green peppers-4 small( I used thai chillies)
Oil-2 tbs
Fresh cilantro leaves-to garnish

Directions:

1. Fire roast the eggplant over medium heat until the eggplant gets charred on the outside and becomes soft.

2. Prick it with a fork and place it on a sieve to let all it's juice drain.

3. Heat oil in a pot and add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.

4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become mushy( I use a potato masher to mash them up to speed up cooking)

5. Add in the salt, red pepper powder, turmeric powder and the green peppers and give it a good mix and allow it to cook on medium heat.

6. Peel the egg plant and mix it all up with a for to break the fibers.

7. Add the mushed up eggplant to the tomato mixture.

8. Put in the cubed onions, give it a stir and immediately turn off the stove.

9. Let the eggplant mixture stay in the pot for a few minutes and then transfer them to a serving bowl.

10. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and enjoy!




6 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you on the varieties of eggplant recipes. Yours is a nice version and taste will be a nice combination for sambar and rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spices and aromatic you used in this Baigan Ka Bharta. And I love eggplants too. Sounds like a perfect and flavorful side dish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. delicious flavours looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baigan ka bharta! I cook it almost the same way as you've mentioned above, except that I add a teaspoon or two of peanut powder (dry roasted, peeled, and powdered in a processor) when I add the baigan, and then add a teaspoon of tamarind water towards the end.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.