I have been fascinated by eggplants lately and am discovering newer ways of cooking them. No two recipes I am searching on the web are alike and there are really endless ways of cooking them. Baigan Ka Bharta is a smokey, mushed eggplant side dish. I already have one recipe for "baigan ka bharta" on my blog. This is just a different one.
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Tomatoes-3 medium, chopped
Onions-one medium finely cubed
Green peppers-4 small( I used thai chillies)
Fresh cilantro leaves-to garnish
1. Fire roast the eggplant over medium heat until the eggplant gets charred on the outside and becomes soft.
2. Prick it with a fork and place it on a sieve to let all it's juice drain.
3. Heat oil in a pot and add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle.
4. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they become mushy( I use a potato masher to mash them up to speed up cooking)
5. Add in the salt, red pepper powder, turmeric powder and the green peppers and give it a good mix and allow it to cook on medium heat.
6. Peel the egg plant and mix it all up with a for to break the fibers.
7. Add the mushed up eggplant to the tomato mixture.
8. Put in the cubed onions, give it a stir and immediately turn off the stove.
9. Let the eggplant mixture stay in the pot for a few minutes and then transfer them to a serving bowl.
10. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and enjoy!