Red Lentil Soup

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

We all know the benefits of lentils and would love to make it a part of our everyday meals. However, I find it monotonous to make it in the same "one" way as I have to have a soup or a curry with a gravy for the folks in my household.

On the other hand, I have two kinds of days, planned and the unplanned ones. Planned days are those, where I plan a night before, about the food to cook, fit the chores to do and plan on finishing cooking and cleaning around noon, each day to keep me feeling accomplished (not to mention the other multitude of things to be done).  Unplanned days are those, when I have not planned my day, and find myself brainstorming while standing by the  refrigerator or sometimes the pantry:) In a minute, I come up with something that is healthy, tasty, and picky-kid-friendly ideas. When I can't decide, I, you know, pick up the phone and remind Mom about those old things, I detested and how much I love them and beg her for the recipe. She quickly tells me the recipe and in a couple minutes I cook, take a picture  and call her to tell her that I cooked and will post the recipe on my blog:)

Today was an unplanned day and now you read the recipe for an amazing lentil soup I made. It was super delicious, tangy, flavorful and best of all, it took less than ten minutes to make from start to finish:)

Ingredients:

Red lentils (Masoor ki daal)-1 cup
Water-2-1/2 cups
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Salt- to taste
Garlic cloves-3
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Black peppercorns-8-10
Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
Tomatoes-2 small, cubed
Lemon juice-2 tbs

For tempering:

Oil-2 tsp
Curry leaves-15-16
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Green peppers-2 small, cut into small pieces

Directions:

1. Grind together cumin seeds, asafoetida, garlic and black pepper corns.

2.  Pressure cook the lentils along with water, salt, tomatoes, ground garlic mixture until soft.

3. When done, turn the stove off and let the steam settle down.

4. Remove the lid, add the lemon juice and transfer to a serving bowl.

5. Heat oil in a saute pan and add cumin seeds, allow them to sizzle.

6. Add the green peppers, and the curry leaves and let them sizzle a little bit.

7. Turn off the stove and quickly temper the lentil soup.

8. Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. looks really flavorful...just had made soup during the weekend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you call it soup and i call it dal and would love to have it with a steaming bowl of rice

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.