I had not baked any cakes at all in a long time. Today morning, I checked one of my most favorite blogs, www. fatisrecipes.wordpress.net . Fati had posted the recipe of a lemon yogurt cake and I could not wait to try it out. I had all the ingredients at hand and went ahead and baked it. I felt most successful on tasting the result. It was one melt-in-the mouth cake, was airy, moist and had the most pleasant lemony scent with a slight tang. It was not overly sweet and our cake was eaten even before it cooled to a room temperature. Thank you Fati! We all love you!
For the Cake,
Whole wheat flour-1 cup
Baking powder-1 1/2 tsp
Confectioners sugar- 1 cup
Vegetable oil-1/2 cup
Eggs-3 large at room temperature
Lemons-2 ( zested and juiced)
Greek yogurt-1 cup
For the Syrup..
Confectioners sugar-1/2 cup
Lemon juice-2 tbs
1. Preheat the oven at a 350 deg F.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.
3. Whisk eggs together until fluffy with a handheld mixer.
4. Add the yogurt, veg oil, sugar, lemon juice one after the other until well incorporated.
5. Use a spatula and slowly pour the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Add the lemon zest, saved from the two lemons and give one final stir.
7.Grease a loaf pan or any other pan of your choice and pour the batter in and bake it in the preheated oven for 35 minutes until you see a lovely golden brown color on the top.
8. Stick a tooth pick into the center of the cake pan and if it comes out clean, turn off the oven and remove the pan and place it on the counter for a few minutes.
9. Invert the cake onto a serving plate and set aside.
10. Heat the water, lemon juice and the sugar and stir until it thickens.
11. Prick the cake all over with a fork and pour the syrup and let the cake soak it up.
12. Serve immediately with a tiny bit of lemon zest on the top or a dollop of greek yogurt.