Quick Potato Curry


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Time is trickling away so fast and I can't keep up with it sometimes with  all the bazillion things I have to do. On fast paced days like these, I  pull out my pressure cooker from the farthest spot in the kitchen cabinet to cook even the simplest curries. And yes, it does cut the coking time a lot. The most time spent is just in cutting up the vegetables and once you put the everything in, pop the lid right on, and you hear it whistle, the curry is actually ready. Since potatoes tend to get overcooked too quickly, i turn the stove off quickly and take it off of the stove and place it in the cold sink to stop them from cookinf further. Once the pressure settles down, open the lid, place it back on high heat and let the gravy dry up and you r curry is done!

Ingredients:

Potatoes-3 big, pelled and cut
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Tomatoes-2 medium, choped
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Fresh cilantro-2 tbs
Oil-as needed
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds-1/4 tsp
Asafoetida-a pinch

Directions:

1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and pop in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and the fenugreek seeds and let them sizzle.

2. Add the asafoetida and in a few seconds, add the onions and saute until they turn golden brown.

3. Put the ginger-garlic paste and fry for a brief minute.

4. Add the tomatoes and the potatoes, some cilantro, salt, red pepper powder, turmeric powder and pop the lid on and cook on high heat until you hear one whistle.

5. Turn off the heat and remove the pressure cooker from the heat and place it in the cold sink.

6. Once the pressure settles down, remove the lid, place the pressure cooker back on the stove and stir the potatoes gently until you see the gravy turn thick.

7. Turn the stove off and transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.

8. Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your recipes! I love the flavor of this dish and I have tried to make it twice. Each time, though, it burns before the whistle blows! I'm new to cooking with a pressure cooker, so I feel like I'm missing something. Are you supposed to add any water? I would love to know, because, even despite being a little burned, it is still delicious.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen for trying my recipe. Since you are new to a pressure cooker, I would suggest you do add 1/2 a cup of water and cook for upto a whistle ad turn the stove off or else, the potatoes will get mushy. Once the pressure settles down, take the lid off and check the amount of water. If it is a lot, turn up the stove on high and let all of it evaporate or if you desire, leave it the way it is:)


      On a side note, I have been raised around a pressure cooker and know how much liquid comes out of tomatoes and onions and how much time I must cook to achieve the desired result.

      If you would like to try this recipe without the pressure cooker first, I think you must try it but it would take a tad bit longer, but will be worth it.

      Try and let me know how it turns out:)

      Delete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.