Tomato Daal





 Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Hello readers, I am still around:) Sometimes, I disappear into the oblivion for no specific reason. When there are too many things to take care of and when the feeling not accomplishing things rightly, overtakes me I have to neglect my poor blog even:(

This is a recipe of a delicious and comforting daal I made a while ago. Daal (lentil soup) is the one thing I happen to go back to cooking all the time. I cook daal almost four times a week and try to cook it in different ways. I challenge myself to cook the same old vegetable or a lentil in a more attractive and a newer way, each time I cook. Lentils taste more delicious when you eat them after days of eating fancy or festive food.  Here's the recipe for the tomato daal.

Ingredients:

For the daal.,

Moong daal (skinless and split)-1 cup
Tur daal- 1/2 cup
Water-as needed
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Oil-1/2 tsp
Milk-1 tsp
Onion-1 medium, finely chopped
Red pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Tomatoes-2 medium, choped
Salt- to taste
Coriander leaves-2 tsps, chopped,

For tempering.,

Oil-1 tbs
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Garlic cloves-1 tbs, chopped
Curry leaves-a few

Directions:

1. Pressure cook the mung daal and tur daal along with water, turmeric powder, oil and milk until done and turn off the stove and when cooled, mash with a potato masher and add desired amount of water and set aside.

2. Heat oil in a pot and add the chopped onions and saute until they turn light brown.
3. Add the red pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt, and tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
4. Pour the mashed daal into the tomato mixture and allow to come to a boil. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl and set aside.
5. Heat oil in a saute pan and  add the chopped garlic, curry leaves , cumin seeds an let them sizzle and turn dark in color.

6. Quickly pour the tempering onto the daal in the bowl and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

7. Enjoy!





5 comments:

  1. Yummy .. Frst time here ... Love ur col space .. Hapi to follow u ... Glad if u do the same

    http://subhieskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are back! I'm always looking for new daal recipes and this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Lentils taste more delicious when you eat them after days of eating fancy or festive food." Oh, how right you are about this!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.