Punjabi Dahi Ki Kadi



Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem


Dahi Ki Kadi is a cooked  yogurt sauce with onion fritters, seasoned and tempered. Every region in India has it's own version of making it. My Mom makes it differently, my MIL makes it differently and it also comes with a lot of memories attached to it as it reminds one of the comfort it gave us during our carefree childhood.

I am sure many of you go through a dilemma of what to cook and upon asking dh, get a reply of "whatever you want to"! It is on days like these, when I either do not cook at all or, challenge myself to making something totally new.

Today, I looked up and followed a recipe from..mmm, yes! http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/punjabi-kadhi-recipe-punjabi-kadhi-pakora/ . It was a hit at my home and everyone enjoyed and they all wished I made it more frequently. It was definitely easier than my version of Kadi 



Ingredients:

For the fritters..

Chickpea flour- 1 cup
Onion-1 large, thinly sliced
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-as needed
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Asafoetida-a pinch
Coriander seeds(roasted and coarsely crushed)-2 tsps
Carrom seeds-1 pinch
Garam masala-1/2 tsp
Baking powder-1/2 tsp

For the Kadi..

Yogurt-2 cups
Chickpea flour-2 tbs
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-as needed
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Water-as needed
Garam masala-1 tsp
Asafoetida-a pinch
 Cilantro-a tbs, chopped for garnish

For tempering..

Oil-1 1/2 tbs
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Asafoetida-a pinch
Curry leaves- as needed
Red dry chillies-a few
Green Peppers-2, slit
 Ginger-garlic -1 tbs, crushed

Directions:

1. Mix the ingredients listed for the fritters without water at all and set aside to let the oinios release their own juice and become moist.

2. Mix all the ingredients listed for making  the Kadi and mix well with a whisk until all the ingredients gets mixed and there are no lumps.

3. Turn on the stove and put the pot with the whisked yogurt mixture and start stirring without pausing until the whole mixture comes to a boil. This is an important to keep the yogurt from curdling.

4. Reduce the heat to a mdium-low and on a different stove, heat oil and pour out a tbs full of the batter and fry on both sides until the fritters turn crisp and golden in color.

5. Remove the fritters ith a slotted spoon and carefully place them in the boiling kadi.

6. Heat oil in a saute pan and add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, asafoetida, green peppers, red peppers, ad the curry leaves, allowing them to sizle and crack one after the other. Add the crushed ginger and garlic and stir until they turn brown. Pour the tempering on top of the kadi and turn off the stove on which the Kadi was boiling.

7. Cover with a lid immediately and let the flavors dissolve and the Kadi is infused with them. Garnish with chopped cilantro.

8. Enjoy!


Notes: Serve with a plate of hot plain rice or with phulkas.









10 comments:

  1. wooo beautiful :)
    Dahi ki kadi recipe is similar to hyderabadi one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely kadhi.
    http://realhomecookedfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had Punjabi kadhi this week and it's so good!

    My mother-in-law made it for me and she is going to teach me to make it next week. Since she calls it "Punjabi Kadhi, I guess it's her version of it. You're looks just as good as what I had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Coleen! Thanks for your comment. I cant wait to watch the your MIL makes the Kadhi.

      Delete
  4. Just fantastic, lovely color and delicious kadi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for trying this recipe. this is so popular at home. i have stopped making kadhi for a while, but will start making soon in the winters with cashew or peanut yogurt. really great to have the kadhi with steamed or jeera rice. definitely a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.