Daal with Swiss Chard


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

As a Mom, my job is to cook kid-friendly adult food:) Now that can be tricky and i think I have learnt to deal with that! If I know a certain vegetable the little one's will not eat, I either make a chutney out of it or add it to the daal (lentil soup). With so many more newer vegetables I am yet to try from the stores and farmer's markets here in the US, after trying my hands at kale recently, I went ahead and bought some Red Swiss Chard . Initially I wanted to simply stir fry it but, later cooked it with split yellow  pigeon peas and to my surprise, it was over even before the next meal:)Next time you find this at your local grocery store, go ahead and cook this daal and tell me how much you appreciate it.

Ingredients:

Tur Daal (Spilt yellow pigeon peas)- 1 cup
Tomatoes-3 small
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Asafoetida-1/4 tsp
Oil-1 tbs
Red Swiss Chard- 2-3 cups, washed and chopped finely
Water-as needed
Lime or lemon wedges-as needed

Directions:

1. Pressure cook the tur daal until soft and done and set aside to cool.

2. Heat oil in a big pot and put the asafoetida powder followed by the tomatoes and cook them until they turn pulpy.

3. Add the salt, red pepper powder, turmeric powder, and give it a stir.

4. Put in the chopped chard and cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the cooked daal.

5. Add more water to get a desired consistency and bring it to a boil.

6. Turn off the stove, transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

7. Enjoy!




7 comments:

  1. delicious dhal dish looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice looking dal with swiss chard.
    http://realhomecookedfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely curry...Do chek out my event..

    On-going event : Restyle My Taste !!
    http://www.sajustastes.com/2012/11/restyle-my-taste-first-event-giveaway.html

    Hoping an active particiaption for this simple event with xciting gifts..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.