Palak daal


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Everyday I walked home from School for lunch. Even before I reached the gate, I smelt a delicious smell that I didn't care much about savoring but, soon became a memory. There were smells of roasted garlic, or curry leaves or asafoetida from the tempering Mom made for the delicious daals (lentil soups). Growing up, she fed us a lot of vegetables and other healthy stuff and the more they stressed the importance of eating it, the more I didn't want to eat it. Not that I even ate junk food at that time.

When I made this daal, it reminded me of the aromas of my Mom's kitchen.  My Mom uses just a few different ingredients but this was as good.

Ingredients:

Tur daal-1 cup
Water-3 cups
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Green pepper-1 tsp, chopped finely
Ginger-1 tsp, cut into small pieces
Garlic-1 tsp cut  finely
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Oil-2 tsps
Spinach-1 cup, chopped and tightly packed
Asafoetida-a pinch

Directions:

1. Pressure cook the daal until soft along with turmeric powder and set aside.

2. Heat oil in a pot and add cumin seeds and let them sizzle, followed by asafoetida.

3. Put in the garlic, ginger and green pepper  saute for a few seconds.

4. Put the the spinach and cook until it gets wilted and cooked.

5. To this mixture, add the cooked daal and salt and also some water to get a desired consistency and cook for a few minutes.

6. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.

7. Enjoy!






4 comments:

  1. OMG...this is one awesome dish! My mom makes similar way..and I love it together with rice and fried anchovies. Yours makes me mouthwatery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this dal is one of my fav palak dal versions. glad you made it and liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Healthy and tasty dal...
    http://recipe-excavator.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.