Everyday I walked home from School for lunch. Even before I reached the gate, I smelt a delicious smell that I didn't care much about savoring but, soon became a memory. There were smells of roasted garlic, or curry leaves or asafoetida from the tempering Mom made for the delicious daals (lentil soups). Growing up, she fed us a lot of vegetables and other healthy stuff and the more they stressed the importance of eating it, the more I didn't want to eat it. Not that I even ate junk food at that time.
When I made this daal, it reminded me of the aromas of my Mom's kitchen. My Mom uses just a few different ingredients but this was as good.
Tur daal-1 cup
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Green pepper-1 tsp, chopped finely
Ginger-1 tsp, cut into small pieces
Garlic-1 tsp cut finely
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Spinach-1 cup, chopped and tightly packed
1. Pressure cook the daal until soft along with turmeric powder and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pot and add cumin seeds and let them sizzle, followed by asafoetida.
3. Put in the garlic, ginger and green pepper saute for a few seconds.
4. Put the the spinach and cook until it gets wilted and cooked.
5. To this mixture, add the cooked daal and salt and also some water to get a desired consistency and cook for a few minutes.
6. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve.