Okra curry

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Long ago, even when I had no intention of starting my own blog, I did follow a lot of wonderful food blogs and learnt so much from them. One such blog is at www.anediblesymphony.blogspot.com. After I made this curry, my impression of  the slimy vegetable changed forever. I was never eager to eat okra as a child and never did as an adult. But now, I look forward to making this okra in a thick gravy and the bowl and plates are licked clean:)

Ingredients:

Okra-1/2 lb, washed and cut
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Oil-as needed
Urad daal-2tbs
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder--1/2 tsp
Coconut powder-2 tbs
Cashews-1/4 cup
Yogurt-3 tbs
Tomatoes-2 medium chopped
Onion-1 small chopped
Curry leaves-a few
Water-as needed

Directions:

1. Heat oil in a pot and saute the cut okra until all the slime dries up and you see brown specks. Remove onto a plate and set aside.

2. Grind cashews and coconut powder and yogurt to a fine paste and set aside.

3. Add some more oil into the same pot and pop in cumin aseeds, mustard seeds, urad daal and curry leaves one after the other allowing them to sizzle and pop.

4.Add the onions and saute until they turn golden brown.

5.Add in the tomatoes and cook until they become soft and pulpy.

6. Then add  ground mixture and saute until golden brown and add the okra and the water.

7. Cook on high heat until the okra is cooked and soft.

8. Reduce the heat to a low and cover with a lid for five minutes.

9. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.

10. Enjoy!



 


2 comments:

  1. I like this recipe.
    I love change my italian flavors....And you have more good recipes for this

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.