Dahi Badey ( fried chikpea flour dumplings in yogurt sauce)


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Dear readers, I am still around and just to busy with life. I have a lot of pictures of the stuff I have cooked,  sitting in my drafts and just typing up the recipe and posting has become a challenge. I hope to insha Allah, to post more recipes as I get some time.


Here's a recipe of Dahi Badey I had made one day in Ramadan and I have to tell you they serve as a perfect snack and is pretty filling. My mother-in-law makes them every single day in Ramadan and this recipe is also borrowed from her and I have watched her make them several times before I perfected them myself.

Ingredients:


Chickpea flour-2 cups
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-as needed
Baking powder-1/2 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Water-as needed
Green peppers-2 small, ground and made into a fine paste
Water- as needed
Oil-to deep fry and tempering
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Curry leaves-a few

Directions:

1. Make a smooth batter without lumps with the chickpea flour, salt, red pepper, turmeric powder and baking powder and set aside.

2. Add the green pepper paste, salt, and water to the yogurt to make a thick sauce and set aside.

3. Heat oil and drop a tbs full of the batter into the oil and fry the dumplings while flipping them until they turn crisp on the outside and a golden brown on the outside.

4. Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon into a bowl full of cold water and leave them in there for a minute and squeeze them gently and place them slowly into the yogurt sauce.

5. In a saute pan, heat some oil to make a tempering and pop in the cumin seeds, mustard seeds followed by the curry leaves and turn off the stove when the tempering is ready and quickly pour the tempering onto the dumplings in the sauce.

6. Enjoy!



The weather here in Dallas has been pretty nasty. It was a whopping 102 degrees F at 7:00 pm  this evening and felt like Summer and we are almost at the beginning of fall. What does the weather feel like in your part of the World?


5 comments:

  1. We call them by a different name. Looks yummy, addition of green chilli to yogurt sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ambreen, what do you call these badey?

      Delete
  2. looks delicious with the tadka on top. the badeys that we make here is made from urad dal. the yogurt is sweet, spicy and sour with mint-cilantro chutney and saunth (tamarind-jaggery-dates chutney) added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dassana, I also make a version using urad dal, with a similar tadka.

      Delete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.