There is a sense of warmth and comfort simple foods give you that fancy ones do not. This cabbage curry was what my Mom made all the time and still does and it gets cooked in very little time and can be served with plain bread, or with plain rice with or without lentil soup.
Cabbage- one small, finely shredded, washed and drained
Red pepper powder- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Tomatoes-2 medium diced
Tur daal-1/2 cup, soaked for an hour
1. In a big round bowl, mix all the ingredients except the oil.
2. Heat oil in a pot and pour the cabbage mixture in and cook on high heat for five minutes.
3. Reduce the heat and cook covered until the cabbage and tomatoes turn soft.
4. One more time, increase the heat and stir and cook until the curry becomes dry and the daal also turns soft.
5. Turn off the stove, transfer to a serving bowl.