I have always heard how good the food tastes at dhabas in India but never got to eat it as a child growing up in India. And as an adult, I enjoy recreating things I always wanted to eat in my own kitchen:)
After all the fasting, travelling and feasting, I am abruptly facing reality of School runs, cooking , cleaning, multi-tasking and racing with the clock. I had already been planning to follow this recipe for a while, because I was sure it was going to turn out just perfect. I didnt even tweak the recipe and folowed the exact measurements and it really turned out delicious. I served it with jeera rice as Dassana suggested and it made one comforting lunch. Thanks again Dassana!
Tur daal(pigeon peas)-1/2 cup
Chana daal(split chickpeas)-1/4 cup
Red pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Garam masala-1/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Onion-1 small, sliced
Tomatoes-2 medium, diced
Garlic-1 tbs, chopped
1.Pressure cook the daal with red pepper powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and turmeric powder until half done and set aside.
2. In a saute pan, pour the ghee and pop in the cumin seeds and wait for a few seconds.
3. Add the asafoetida.
4. Throw in the chopped onions, followed by garlic and stir until translucent.
5. Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn pulpy.
6. Add salt and give it a stir.
7. Pour the whole tempered mixture into the pressure cooker with the cooked daal.
8. Pressure cook the daal one more time until you hear one whistle.
9.Turn of the stove and let the pressure settle down.
10. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro leaves.