Dhaba Style Daal

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I have always heard how good the food tastes at dhabas in India but never got to eat it as a child growing up in India. And as an adult, I enjoy recreating things I always wanted to eat in my own kitchen:)

After all the fasting, travelling and feasting, I am abruptly facing reality of School runs, cooking , cleaning, multi-tasking and racing with the clock. I had already been planning to follow  this recipe for a while, because I was sure it was going to turn out just perfect.  I didnt even tweak the recipe and folowed the exact measurements and it really turned out delicious. I served it with jeera rice as Dassana suggested and it made one comforting lunch. Thanks again Dassana!

Ingredients:

Tur daal(pigeon peas)-1/2 cup
Chana daal(split chickpeas)-1/4 cup
Red pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Garam masala-1/4 tsp
Asafoetida-a pinch
Salt- to taste
Ghee-1 tbs
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Onion-1 small, sliced
Tomatoes-2 medium, diced
Water-3-4 cups
Cilantro-to garnish
Garlic-1 tbs, chopped

Direction: 

1.Pressure cook the daal with red pepper powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, and turmeric powder until half done and set aside.

2. In a saute pan, pour the ghee and pop in the cumin seeds and wait for a few seconds.

3. Add the asafoetida.

4. Throw in the chopped onions, followed by garlic and stir until translucent.

5. Add the tomatoes and cook until they turn pulpy.

6. Add salt and give it a stir.

7. Pour the whole tempered mixture into the  pressure cooker with the cooked daal.

8. Pressure cook the daal one more time until you hear one whistle.

9.Turn of the stove and let the pressure settle down.

10. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro leaves.

11.Enjoy!





3 comments:

  1. thanks for trying the recipe. this is one of my earliest recipes when i started my blog and has ancient pic.

    even i just love the food that is served at dhaba. i plan to post some famous food that is served at dhabas.... they way they are made there.. fortunately i know the taste as i have had food from dhaba.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also glad to know that you liked the dal :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks very good. This is completely new to me, but I would love a bowl of it :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.