This is a classic Hyderabadi Tomato Chutney. It is tangy, smooth, garlicky and flavorful, all in one place. Possibilities to serve are endless as it can be served as a side-dish, chutney, dip, spread etc., It can be made and stored in the refrigerator for weeks and also lasts for three to four days at room temperature.
Tomatoes-4 large, cubed
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-2 tsps
Coriander powder-1 tbs
Cumin seeds-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-as neded
1. Heat oil in a pot and put the asafoetida, followed by mustard seeds and cumin seeds, garlic and curry leaves one after the other letting them sizzle briefly one at a time.
2. Put the cubed tomatoes in along with the ginger-garlic paste, salt, red pepper powder and turmeric powder and cook without a lid until the tomatoes become pulpy.
3. Reduce the heat and let the liquid dry up and the pulp gets thicker.
4. Take a wooden spoon and stir at regular intervals until you see oil seperate from the chutney.
5.Sprinkle the coriander powder and mix it one last time and cook for two minutes.
6. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.