Lemongrass Chicken

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I made this chicken curry with an ingredient of memories of my childhood-lemongrass. This was the same grass I paused for a minute to pluck and  rub between my fingers to smell and wonder why it was grass and had the smell of lemon:) The same grass made it's way to the teapot for the chatting and relaxing elders inside the house, while we children along with the cousins went about doing what we wanted to, wishing Summer Break never ended at my grandparents' home. It's been more than 15vyears since I went back there.

This curry tastes very much like the Tom Kha Gai, a thai chicken soup. What my soup does not have two of the ingredients the galangal and the fish sauce. Because of intense flavor of the lemongrass and the creamy taste of the coconut milk, you will not miss the galangal the fish sauce.

Ingredients:

Boneless Chicken-1 lb, cut into cubes
Salt-to taste
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tbs
Red pepper powder-to taste
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Coconut milk-2 cups
Tomatoes-2
lemongrass-a handful
Oil-1-2 tbs

Directions:

1.Mix together the chicken, ginger-garlic paste, salt, red pepper powder, turmeric powder and leave it in the refrigerator to marinate for 1/2 an hour.

2. Blend together the tomatoes and coconut milk to a fine mixture and set aside.

3.Heat oil in a pot and add the marinated chicken and saute for a few minutes.

4. Put the coconut milk-tomato mixture and the lemongrass and give it a good mix.

5. Bring it to a boil and add more water to get a desired consistency.

6. Reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.

7. Turn off the stove and remove the lemongrass and discard and transfer  the curry to a serving bowl.

8. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I've been told lemongrass is quite the flavour! I'm bookmarking this to try it over the holidays!

    I've been popping into your blog from week to week... Love all your recipes, been missing you lots, though <3

    --fatisrecipes.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw lemongrass the other day when I was at a desi grocery store on Devon Ave. It reminded me of you, but I didn't feel confident enough to buy and try it. I should be braver next time.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.