Cornish Hen Pulao



Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Tell me about that feeling when you wished you were served breakfast, lunch or dinner even without having to think..., let alone deciding, planning and starting to actually cook? And, don't even get me started on washing the dishes after cooking and washing the dishes one more time after serving. I was wishing for such a thing today after doing all the pre-planning and  I refused  to cook. Those are  actually the days when help cannot come to me from anywhere, and I would end up cooking and doing things all by myself. On such days, I simplify it for myself and cook a one pot meal and get done with it asap:) This is what I cooked with marinated cornish hen .



Ingredients:

Cornish hen-2, cut up(marinated with salt, turmeric powder, red pepper powder and ginger-garlic paste and garam masala)
Salt-to taste
Red pepper powder-to taste
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tbs
Garam masala-1 tsp
Tomatoes-3, cut into small pieces
Onions-2 medium, thinly sliced
Oil-1/4 cup
Rice-3 cups, soaked at least for half hour
Fresh mint-1 tbs
Fresh cilantro-a tbs
Green peppers-2, slit


Directions:

1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot and fry onions until they turn golden brown.

2. Put in ginger-garlic paste and saute for a brief minute.

3. Add the tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes turn pulpy.

4. Put the marinated chicken in and cook until it gets cooked and leaves a thick gravy with oil floating on top.

5. Paralelly, bring water to a boil and add the rice and cook until the rice is aldente.

6. At this point, drain the water from the rice using a colander.

7. In a wide mouthed pot, put half the amount of rice followed by the chicken with the gravy.

8.Spread the green peppers, mint and cilantro ove the chicken.

9. Top it off with the remaining rice and cook over medium heat with a tight-fitting lid for 10-12 minutes until you see the steam escape through the lid.

10. Turn off the stove and garnish with some fried onions.

11.Enjoy!









3 comments:

  1. Never heard about...Cornish hen..
    Checked it out in wikipedia just now..
    Pulao looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dish looks yummy. I just checked out wikipedia too. When you say cornish hen in this post, do you mean an immature/small chicken or do you mean a hybrid chicken? I've never heard of the name cornish chicken either, but I know that young/immature chickens are preferred, because when cooked they're very flavorful (have a lot of 'lazzat' ..if you know what I mean).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SproutsofSpring, let me make it simple. It comes whole with skin on and is available at Arabic meat markets. It is certainly more flavorful than the regular chicken and is very tender.

      Delete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.