Boondi

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I happen to be a daughter of an Oil Technologist father and a health-conscious mother. That kept me from eating street food totally and very few deep-fried snacks. As children it was hard to understand why but, now it becomes easy to understand that while making healthy choices for my own family and children. Every once in a while, when I do make deep-fried snacks at home, I realize that they taste much better and are not fried in grease re-used oil.

Boondi is, basically deep-fried drops of a batter made with chickpea flour. They are initially  unsalted and you may add salt or sugar to make sweet or savory verisons of snacks or yogurt sauces. This particular recipe has been adapted from www.nishamadhulika.com. She has a galore of recipes and easy-to-follow recipe videos too.

Ingredients:

Chickpea flour-1 cup
Water-3/4 cup
Oil-to fry+ a tbs
A spoon with holes

Directions:

1. In a bowl, put the chickpea flour, oil and pour water and mix to make a lump-less batter and set aside for 10 minutes.

2. Heat oil in a wok and  test by dropping a drop of the batter to see if the drop rises to the surface immediately, if it does, the oil is ready.

3. Hold the spoon with the holes over the wok of oil and with another spoon, pour the batter and hold the spoon until the batter drops into the oil and the drops rise up.

4. Stir the boondi around a little until they turn crispy.

5. Quickly remove with a slotted spoon onto a paper towel and let cool.

6. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with salt and and toss before serving.

7. Enjoy!








5 comments:

  1. I remember school Independence days,when we used to get a packet of these..Perfectly done!!
    Ongoing Events at(Erivum Puliyum)-
    1. The Kerala Kitchen(June'12)

    2.EP Series-Basil OR Cardamom

    ReplyDelete
  2. my mil makes boondi at home. i have never ever tried making them at home. i am waiting for your other boondi recipes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved boondi as a child. My dad used to buy by the pound from the local Indian stores in Riyadh. Do these become crunchy after you fry them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they become crunchy and taste much better than the store-bought ones.

      Delete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.