I have to confess, no matter how much I like to cook non-vegetarian or eat it, when it comes to comfort and warmth, nothing compares to what the humble vegetables can give. They are easy to cook, are healthy and come in so many different flavors and textures.. If you try adding a new ingredient to them every time you cook and omit one completely, it makes it gives it a different flavor look all together.
I, as a little girl, thought curries can be of only two colors, red or green based on the color of peppers mom used. Now, that same little girl as a woman is simply loving to experiment with those basic colors and discovering numerous ways of cooking with them.
This is one simple way of cooking cabbage and best served with roti or chawal.
Cabbage- 1 small, finely shredded
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Tomatoes- 1 large, cubed
Fresh fenugreek leaves-1 cup, washed and chopped
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Curry leaves-a few
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl along with thew shredded cabbage and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pot and pop in the mustard seeds, cumin seeds one after the other, followed by the curry leaves.
3. Put the cabbage mixture and cook on high heat , with the lid on, for 5-7 minutes until a lot of the liquid from the tomatoes and cabbage comes out.
4. Give it a quick mix and lower the heat to a medium and cook until the cabbage gets soft.
5. One more time, increase the heat and stir until the liquid dries up.
6. Turn off the stove, transfer to a serving plate, and serve.