This is the daal my husband ate with rotis for breakfast all his life. I can tell, I almost never ate it before marriage. The only thing Mom used the black lentils was to make idlis and dosas. So, I have really tried hard to learn the technique to get the best results over the years and can tell it turns out perfect. It is very nutritious and a source of protein and vitamins.
Maash ki daal(black lentils)-1 cup, soaked for half an hour
Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Onions-1 medium, finely sliced
Ground black pepper-1/2 tsp
Green pepper-2, slit and cut lengthwise
1. Boil the soaked black lentils in water until soft and still holding shape along with the ginger-garlic paste.
2. When done add salt and give it a good mix and turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.
3. Fry onions until they turn golden brown.
4. Pour the oil along with the fried onions on top of the daal.
5. Garnish with Cilantro leaves.
6. Sprinkle ground black pepper.
7. Serve hot.