Lauki Kofta Curry

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Lauki/ bottle gourd/ calabash is the name of the same vegetable. When growing up, Mom did not cook it a whole lot of times and all I knew about it was, it was grated and made into  a kheer, a dessert! When I got married and tried cooking it in more than one way, I discovered a couple ways to cook it with lentil soup, make a dry curry etc., Later on,  when  I started discovering recipes on Blogs, I was amazed to find so many recipes and a whole new world of recreating them in my own Kitchen opened up. One Blog that stands out from the rest from those old days of just researching (wouldn't even dare to comment) was www.anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com. I have adapted this recipe from there and tweaked it just a little bit. This Blog has a lot of recipes but, it's owner is on a break. However, go ahead and explore it and you will be happy.



This is a very light and creamy sauce with melt-in-the mouth calabash dumplings. Feel free to substitute two tbs of yogurt in place of cashews and experiment with any other vegetable that can hold form.



Ingredients:

For the kofta.,

Lauki-2 cups, (grated and sauteed in 1/2 tsp of oil and cooled)
Salt-to taste
Ginger-garlic paste-1-2tsps
Fresh cilantro leaves-a handful
Black pepper powder-a pinch
Chickpea flour-2-3 tbs( roasted)

For the gravy.,

Tomatoes-2 large
Onions-1, chopped
Cashew nuts-2 tbs, roasted
Green peppers-3-4
Oil-as needed


Directions:

1. Mix together the sauteed gourd, salt, black pepper, ginger-garlic paste and the roasted chickpea flour and make small balls.

2. Heat oil and deep fry the balls until they turn golden brown and set them aside.

3. Blend together tomatoes, onions, green chillies, and roasted cashewnuts to a fine paste.

4. Heat oil in a pot and pour the ground mixture  and ginger- garlic paste and carefully fry the mixture on high heat until the oil gets seperated from the gravy.

5. Put the fried balls into the gravy and bring to a boil.

6. Reduce the heat and cook for a minute or two.

7. Turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.

8. Garnish with cilantro leaves and serve.

9. Enjoy!






13 comments:

  1. Yum! I love your addition of cashew nuts. I LOVE cashews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so tempting, delicious koftas & rich curry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious and am very tempted to taste it. I have never used vegetables to make koftas, would love to try it out someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T@SproutsofSpring, try them soon and they are the easiest!

      Delete
  4. this is a common dish i make at home. but never blogged about it. i generally don't add cashews. its just tomato-onion-chili paste. but i know the cashews must have made added a creamy and smooth texture to this dish.

    it is good to see that you have started styling food as well. looks good,neat and presentable. i also liked the angles you have taken for the pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dassana, your comment made me feel the happiest because it comes from a multi-talented personality, yet very humble like you:)

      I am still a novice in blogging and photography. I have come a long way ever since I started. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. This is something very new for me.. I have never tasted loki koftas but these look so good I want to start digging right away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something new to me but its definitely worth trying. I love the creamy version of this dish..ooo yumm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow....the lauki kofta curyy looks absolutely delicious....bookmarked !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the blog....
    http://www.gujaratonnet.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. As salaamu alaikum! Ramadhan Kareem! Love from 'Aishah, Khadijah and Abby in Ireland! Khadijah has developed a love of Indo/Pak cooking, masha Allah. She made us some kofta from a masala, which was tasty, but too spicy, so this time I said, we must find a good recipe online. I remembered your blog, and found this recipe right away, al hamdulillah! Can't wait to try it. This blog is really quite brilliant, masha Allah ta baraak Allah. Ma Salaama <3

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.