Kofta Pulao-1

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem


If you told me cooking good food was easy and you just need to know certain techniques and do certain things right, and you can cook up the most exotic things like a pro, years ago, I would not believe you. Now that I have mastered those techniques, I dare to play with ingredients and jazz up  simple food and make it look and taste fancy even when I am pressed for time and when I simply  DO NOT want to cook!

 I am big on planning, and  punctual and dedicated to the smallest commitments and plan one day at a time. It helps me stay focussed and also in keeping everyone happy:) My day is successful when the food has been cooked, family fed, kitchen cleaned and all of this  needs planning to keep sanity in place.



So, just when my day began, I decided I was going to make kofta Pulao and raita for dinner. I marinated the ground meat, soaked the rice and went about doing the School runs and running errands. When I came back home finally, it was late in the evening an my tired self refused to cook! When things didn't work in my favor I was convinced I am the one who has to help myself get through the whole evening show , I dragged myself into the kitchen and took things in my hands and started cooking and since I had prepared the stuff beforehand, was done with cooking and also managed to take  pics to share with you:)





Ingredients:

For the koftas.,

Ground meat-1 lb
Ground garam masala-1 tsp
Salt- to taste
Red pepper powder-to taste
Turmeric powder--1/2 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste-1 -2 tsps
Fresh mint leaves-1 tbs(chopped)
Fresh cilantro leaves-1 -2 tbs(chopped


For the gravy

Oil-as needed
Onions-2 large finely sliced
fresh cilantro-1 tbs
Fresh mint leaves-1 tbs
Green pepper-1 tbs
Yogurt-1 1/2 cup (thick)

For the rice

Basmati rice-2 cups (soaked for 20 minutes)
Water-good enough to boil
Salt- to taste
Whole spices-4 each(cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods, caraway seeds-1 tsp)

Directions:

1. Mix all the ingredients listed under Koftas and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.

2. Heat oil in a big pot and fry onions until they turn golden brown and remove them onto a paper towel and set aside.

3. Make meat balls of desired size, preferably small and fry then in the oil in which you had fried the onions until they start to brown on all sides and set aside.

4.In the remaining oil, add beaten yogurt, fresh cilantro, mint, green peppers and fry until the yogurt becomes thick , add the fried koftas to this gravy and turn off the stove

5. Bring water to a boil and add the rice along with the whole spices and salt until half done and drain all the water using a colander.

6. Put half of the rice back into the pot and keep half of it in the colander.

7. Pour the gravy and the  koftas onto the rice, followed by the fried onions and put the remaining rice on the top.

8. Secure the mouth of the pot with a aluminum foil and place a tight fitting lid and cook on a medium flame for 5-7 minutes.

9. Turn off the stove and let it rest for 10 minutes.

10.Transfer to a serving platter and garnish with boiled eggs, some cilantro and fried onions.

11. Enjoy!

Sending this recipe to  http://torviewtoronto.blogspot.ca/2012/05/cooking-with-love-aunt-event.html









8 comments:

  1. This is a unique take on the regular kofte or kofton ka salan. Never ever thought of making it this way ..layered with rice. Simply loving it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I just got a little creative there LOL!

      Delete
  2. Mouth-wateringly delicious, fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for linking this delicious pulao to the event I have added the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for linking this delicious pulao to the event

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello..i loved the recipe and the pics too.. just one question..can i make a veg. version of this recipe..i would love to have it as a vegan dish..just help with it..thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks a lot Suhani!

      You can make this pulao with lauki key kofte. You may find the recipe here http://momcook.blogspot.com/2012/05/lauki-kofta-curry.html. However, since the kofte are delicate, they might break. So, handle them with care.

      Let me know after you make them.

      Delete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.