The first time I ate Balti Gosht was at a fine Pakistani Restaraunt in California. The taste and flavor has remained fresh in my memory and will remain with me forever. It was very flavorful and creamy and melted in the mouth with every bite and it was served in small copper buckets. Read about balti cooking here . I have adapted this recipe from http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan/baltigosht.html .
- Lamb meat-1 lb, fat trimmed, washed and drained
- Salt- to taste
- Red pepper powder( Kashmiri mirch powder)-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Onions-2 medium, sliced
- Tomatoes-3 large, cubed
- Oil-4 tbs
- Cloves- 6
- Black cardamom-6
- cinnamon-4 sticks
- Garlic cloves-4-5, chopped
- Water-1-2 cups
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Whole green peppers-6-8
1. Pressure cook meat with salt, cloves,garlic, turmeric powder, kashmiri mirch powder, cardamom and cinnamon until soft.
2. After the pressure is released, remove the lid and turn on the stove on high and let the water evaporate.
3. Heat oil in pot and fry onions until golden brown.
4. Add tomatoes to the onions and cook until the tomatoes turn and pulpy.
5. Remove the whole spices with a spoon and discard.
6. Add the cooked meat along with whole green peppers and mix well and cook on high heat until the gravy gets thicker.
7. Sprinkle the cumin seeds and reduce heat to the lowest.
8. After ten minutes, turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.