Balti Gosht

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

The first time I ate Balti Gosht was at a fine Pakistani Restaraunt in California. The taste and flavor has remained fresh  in my memory and will remain with me forever. It was very flavorful and creamy and melted in the mouth with  every bite and it was served  in small copper buckets. Read about balti cooking here . I have adapted this recipe from http://www.angelfire.com/country/fauziaspakistan/baltigosht.html .

Ingredients:

  • Lamb meat-1 lb, fat trimmed, washed and drained
  • Salt- to taste
  • Red pepper powder( Kashmiri mirch powder)-1 tsp
  • Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
  • Onions-2 medium, sliced 
  • Tomatoes-3 large, cubed
  •  Oil-4 tbs
  • Cloves- 6
  • Black cardamom-6
  • cinnamon-4 sticks 
  • Garlic cloves-4-5, chopped
  • Water-1-2 cups
  • Cumin seeds-1 tsp
  •  Whole green peppers-6-8

Directions:

1. Pressure cook meat with salt, cloves,garlic, turmeric powder, kashmiri mirch powder,  cardamom and cinnamon until soft.

2. After the pressure is released, remove the lid and turn on the stove on high and  let the water evaporate.

3. Heat oil in pot and fry onions until golden brown.

4. Add tomatoes to the onions and cook until the tomatoes turn and pulpy.

5.  Remove the whole spices with a spoon and discard.

6. Add the  cooked meat along with whole green peppers  and mix well and cook on high heat until the gravy gets thicker.

7. Sprinkle the cumin seeds and reduce heat to the lowest.

8. After ten minutes, turn off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with cilantro.

9. Enjoy!






4 comments:

  1. love the color of the gravy. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is new to me...mouthwatering..!
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the tender meat in lamb curries. I heard balti dishes originated in the Pakistani community in United Kingdom, yet they became more popular than indigenous Pakistani dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice information. I was searching for the same. It helped me alot and saved my time. Thanks alot. upma recipe

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.