Snake Gourd Chutney

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

On some days, when I have a lot of things to do and have too little time, I end up doing a lot and yet accomplish very little. Do you find your selves in this situation too?

I had such a day today and it's almost the end of the day and my mind is racing just counting the number of things to get done before they get pushed further.

In between this race, I cooked the most healthy things and the thought of sharing it with dear readers somehow gave me comfort. I whipped up some methi- daal and made snake gourd chutney.

Snake gourd is a vegetable that resembles a luffah and is similar in taste but the flesh is a little tougher than the luffah and has a slightly bitter taste to it. This was the first time I even touched it as we disliked it as kids,  coz it resembles a snake:) After I bought it from the store, I googled and found out that it has a lot of health benefits. I quickly decided to turn it into a chutney, as chutneys are very easy to sneak into my little ones' food, who donot  like to eat cooked vegetables.


Ingredients:

  • Snake gourd- 1 cup, (washed, deseeded and cut into small pieces)
  • Salt-to taste
  • Green peppers-4-5
  • Ginger-garlic paste-1 tsp
  • Oil-1tbs
  • Mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
  • Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
  • Curry leaves-4-5
  • Water-1/2 cup
  • Coconut milk1/2 cup



Directions:

1.Pour 1/2 cup of water in a sauce pan and boil the snake gourd until it gets cooked and the water dries up.

2.Pour a few drops of oil onto the cooked snake gourd pieces and stir for a little bit.

3.Turn off the stove and let it cool.

4.When cooler, blend together the snake gourd green chillies, ginger-garlic paste, salt and coconut milk, until smooth.

5.Transfer onto a serving bowl.

6.Heat oil in a sauté pan, put in  the mustard seeds cumin seeds. After they sizzle and pop, add the curry leaves and turn off the stove and pour the tempering onto the chutney. Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! My family makes a similar recipe using turai ke chilkay (washed ridge gourd peels). Love chutneys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats one healthy and delicious chutney :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks good and delicious mashaa allah, like all other recipes,willing to try it inshaa allah, thanks alot !

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.