This is a very fragrant, and light Vegetable Pulao. It can be made with any number of vegetables you have at hand and add any fresh green hersbs of your choice. I have added my favorite herbs fenugreek and dill leaves along with potatoes and carrots. It can be served at a light dinner party or be served for lunch on any rainy and grey day to brighten up things a little bit:) And, this recipe also belongs to my ingenious MOM.
- Rice-2 cups (soaked for an hour)
- Salt- to taste
- Green peppers-4-5
- Onions-1 medium, sliced
- Ginger-garlic paste-1-2 tbs
- Carrots-2, cut into cubes
- Potatoes-4-5 small ones, cubed
- Fresh fenugreek leaves-1 cup, washed and chopped
- Fresh dill leaves-1 cup, washed and chopped
- Oil-2 tbs
- Water-as needed
- Coconut powder- 2 tbs (roasted and ground)
- Garam masala-1 tsp
1.Heat oil in a pot and fry onions until they turn golden brown.
2. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry until it turns brown.
3.Put the carrots and potatoes along with salt in and fry them until they get half cooked.
4.Add the garam masala and coconut powder and stir.
5.Add the dill leaves and fenugreek leaves and mix well.
6. Turn off stove and set aside.
7. Boil rice aldente and drain using a colander.
8.Remove half the amount of rice into a container and retain half in the pot.
9.Put the cooked vegetables over half of the rice in the pot.
10.Pour the remaining rice over the rest of the rice and even it out.
11.Secure the mouth of the pot with an aluminum foil tightly and place a lid on top of the pot.
12.Cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes.
13.If you see the steam escaping, turn off the stove and let it stand for 10 minutes.
14. Transfer to a serving plate and serve with yogurt sauce.