Gramma's Chicken Curry

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

This Chicken Curry is dedicated to my Granny, who cooks the BEST food in the World. I mean, she even cooks better than my Mom really! Other than cooking great food, I admire her courage and a positive attitude toward life. It's been 13 years since I last saw her and whenever I call and talk to her, despite her old age, she sounds pretty strong and confidently tells me that she is doing great and wants me to take good care of myself and my household. I got this recipe from my Mom, who had learnt it from hers.

This is a super spicy and tangy chicken curry with a distinct smokey flavor. It also gets a creamy texture from ground almonds. It is best served with fresh parathas or rice.

Ingredients:

  • Chicken: 1 whole, with skin on ( fire roasted on open flame and then cut into pieces).
  • Salt-to taste
  • Turmeric powder-1 tsp
  • Green peppers-6-8
  • Onions-1 big, chopped and fried 
  • Fresh cilantro-1 cup 
  • Almonds-20, roasted
  • Whole spices(cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom pods)-4 each, roasted
  • Lemon juice-1/4 cup
  • Water-1 -2 cups


Directions:

1. Grind together the almonds, green peppers,spices, fried onions, cilantro and lemon juice to a fine paste.

2.Apply salt, turmeric powder, and the ground almond mixture to the chicken and put it in the refrigerator to marinate for an hour.

3. Heat oil in a pot.

4. Put in the marinating chicken along with the marinade and cook on high heat for 10-12 minutes with a tight fitting lid.

5. Remove the lid after ten minutes and give it a gentle mix.

6. At this point, add water to get a desired consistency.

7. Lower the heat to the lowest and cook for 5-8 minutes more.

8.Turn off the stove and set it aside for 10 minutes.

9.Transfer to a serving bowl and garnih with fresh cilantro leaves.

10. Enjoy!



3 comments:

  1. ummm.....
    this looks sooo yummy....
    i told the recipe to grandmother....
    mom said she would prepare it at the earliest....
    n i wil be back to u with the taste after having it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. iA will be making this one today along with the pita bread recipe, will come back and post if I have success or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This came out REALLY well. I didn't have almonds so I substituted peanuts instead. Cannot wait for iftar time to see how the husband reacts. :)) I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.