Chickpea Biryani




Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

This recipe is for those of my friends who have chosen a vegetarian diet. I do believe that it is a healthier choice. However, I do love my meats and try to cook them sparingly.




This recipe is pretty much like the one for Hyderabadi Dum Biryani, but in place of meat or chicken, I have used the chickpeas. In my efforts to cook healthier food, I have been excluding red meat lately. This Biryani lets  you enjoy the elegant taste of the Dum Biryani even without the meat. I have not made it in the oven as I usually do and instead cooked it on a stove top. If you plan ahead of time and prepare some ingredients a day in advance, you will need less than 20 minutes to layer the rice and the chickpea mixture and put it on the stove.

Ingredients:

  • Rice-3 cups
  • Chickpeas-2 cups( cooked with a pinch of baking soda until soft but not mushy and the water completely absorbed)
  •  Salt-to taste
  • Red pepper powder-2tsps
  • Turmeric powder-1 tsp
  • Garam masala powder-1 tbs
  • Ginger-garlic paste-2 tbs
  • Oil1/2-1 cup
  • Onions-2 large finely sliced
  • Yogurt-1 1/2 cup
  • Fresh mint leaves-1/2 cup
  • Cilantro - 1/2 cup
  • Water- 1 gallon to boil rice
  • Saffron strands1/2 tap
  • Milk-1/4 cup
  • Whole spices(cloves, cinnamon sticks and cardamom$
Directions:

1. Heat oil in a pan and fry onions until they turn crispy and golden brown. Remove the fried onions with a slotted spoon and spread them on a paper towel.

2.Heat the milk with saffron strands for a minute an set aside to let the strands release color.

3.Wash and Soak rice for 30 minutes at least( the longer the better) in a big pot, bring water

4.In a big bowl, put the cooked chickpeas, put the ginger-garlic paste, salt, turmeric powder, red
pepper powder, garam masala powder, chopped cilantro, mint, fried onions and yogurt. Mix with a spoon very gently and make sure all the ingredients coat the chickpeas.

5. In a large pot, bring water to a boil and add salt, and  whole spices followed by the soaked rice. Let cook on high heat for a couple minutes and when the rice is 50% cooked, turn off the stove and drain all the water using a colander.

6. In the pot that was used to boil the rice, pour a tbs of oil and add half the drained rice.

7. The add the chickpeas and with the help of a spoon, spread it all over the first layer of rice. Then, pour the remaining rice over the chickpeas.

8.Pour the oil from the fried onions with a spoon all over the rice.

9. Sprinkle the saffron infused milk. Secure the mouth of the pot with an aluminum foil.

10. Place a tight fitting lid on the foil and cook on medium heat for ten minutes.

11. Carefully lift a small part of the foil and Check if the steam is escaping from through the gap. If it is, turn the pot off and serve hot. Enjoy!





5 comments:

  1. Just terribly hungry now dear! Gosh, unable to explain how bad am drooling looking at your briyani...goodness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE2COOK MALAYSIA, I am humbled and honored by your comment. I admire your Blog so much! You are an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i simply like chickpea biryani and chickpea pulao. i have bookmarked your recipe to make it soon.

    we had a hyderabadi neighbor who would make the sumptuous veg and chickpea pulaos and biryani.... so aromatic and tasty. this pulao reminded me of her. she would send a plateful of the pulao to our house and we would all happliy gorge on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fan of this dish. I think it's known as 'khubuli' in our family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make Qubuli with slight variations. It is made with split chickpeas and the yogurt is cooked. You can find the recipe on my blog here.,

      http://momcook.blogspot.com/2012/01/qubuli.html

      Delete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.