Baigan Ka Bhurta is a mashed mixture of fire roasted Eggplant, mixed with onions and seasoned with spices and fresh herbs. It is best served with plain roti.
Mom makes it slightly differently, while I add a few more ingredients that makes it taste completely different. She actually like my version better than hers:)
Eggplant-1 big one
Red pepper powder-1/2 tsp
Onions-1 medium ( cut in half moons)
Fresh cilantro -1/4 cup
Carom seeds (ajwain) -1/4 tsp
Black seeds (kalonji)-1/2 tsp
Olive oil-1 tbs
1 .Roast the eggplant all over, over an open flame, until its skin gets charred and it becomes softer.
2. When done turn off the stove and let it cool.
3. When cooler, carefully peel off the skin and discard it.
4. Mash up the eggplant until all the fiber breaks down.
5. Mix in the onions, salt, red pepper powder, ground black seed and carom seed powder and the fresh cilantro.
6. Mix all the ingredients together and transfer to a serving plate.
7. Drizzle olive oil and serve right away. Enjoy