Hummus


Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem




For those of you who don't know what Hummus is, it is a tasty, pasty dip or spread made with boiled chickpeas, olive oil, minced garlic, lemon juice and sesame paste( tahini). It originated very long ago in the middle eastern part of the World. It has now found its place on plates all over the World.



Hummus is high in vitamin C, iron, folate, dietary fiber and proteins among various other good things. It can be served with fresh pita bread, pita chips, or with fresh salad.



Ingredients:

chickpeas-2 cup boiled and cooked until soft and mushy
salt- to taste
olive oil-1/2 cup
minced garlic- 1 1/2 tbs
lemon juice-2 tbs
paprika-1tsp
mint leaves-4to garnish
tahini-2-3 tbs

Directions: Use a food processor or a blender to blend together the chickpeas, minced garlic, salt, tahini, lemon juice and I tbs of olive oil. When done, empty the contents to a serving bowl and drizzle olive oil generously. Also sprinkle some paprika and garnish with some fresh mint leaves. Enjoy!

Notes:

1. I soak the chickpeas overnight and pressure cook them with a pinch of baking soda, the next day. You may use canned chickpeas too for a similar result.

2. I like my hummus smooth and pasty. You may blend it a little less and leave it grainy if you wish to.

3. To give it an extra tang, you may add a tbs or two of yogurt while blending.

4. Hummus can be stored in a refrigerator for upto a week.


3 comments:

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.