Chana Daal



Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I always order the dal fry whenever we eat at Indian/Pakistani restaraunts with naan and care little for the grilled items. To me, it is the perfect comfort food. And now, I have mastered the art of making it, restaraunts style,


Ingredients:

Chana daal ( split chick peas)-1 cup
Water 3 cups
Salt-to taste
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Red pepper powder-1 tsp
Tomatoes-2 small cut
Onions-1/2, sliced
Cumin seeds-2 tsps
Dill leaves- 1 tsp to garnish
Green peppers-4
Oil-2 tbs

Method: Pressure cook the daal  in two cups of water until soft. Remove half of it and hand blend it until smooth and add it back to the remaining cooked daal. This is to make sure the daal is a mixture of a fine soup and  some peas, still in shape. Add the remaining water along with salt and bring it to a boil and transfer it to a serving bowl. 

Heat oil in a pot, pop in the cumin seeds, followed by the onions. Stir until the onions turn golden brown. Put the green peppers and after a quick stir, put the tomatoes and cook until mushy. Add the red pepper powder and turmeric powder and reduce the heat. Turn off the stove and pour this mix onto the daal and mix. Garnish with the fresh dill leaves. Enjoy!9

8 comments:

  1. Perfect dhal for my bread now...yumm yumm!!! Pass me some dhal dear ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. now i have found the perfect blog to help me out if i'm even in the mood for indian. yay!

    xoxo
    N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaven in a few simple bites
    mumbaiflowerplaza.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have a nice space familycook. dal is a staple at home and this chana dal looks interesting. i wish i liked chana dal as much as the hubby likes.
    thanks for visiting and appreciating my site.

    just one curious question - what does Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Dassana, I appreciate your visit and comment.

    Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem is an Arabic phrase which means, In the name of God, who is the most Merciful and most Beneficient.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful and beautiful quote... nothing more to say...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dal looks simple and delicious. Thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm its seems to turn out perfect

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.