Nargisi Kofta

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I am intimidated by new recipes, when I am pressed for time. I would try them if I had all the time in the World. Nargisi Koftas are one of them that kept me thinking they needed a lot of time and were difficult to make. However, I made these Koftas when I was running a race against time and  cooked them in a jiffy. They did not need any expertise. I mean, even a novice can make them with ease.

Here's  what we are gonna do...,

Ingredients:

for the meat balls.,

ground meat-1 lb
salt-to taste
red pepper powder-1 tsp
boiled eggs-5
oil-1 cup
a plastic cling wrap to make the balls

For the gravy..,

onions-2 cups, cubed
tomatoes-2 large, cubed
whole spices-4 each( cloves, cardamom,cinnamon,caraway seeds,bay leaf)
almonds-6-8, roasted
oil-2-3 tbs
salt-to taste
ginger-garlic paste
red pepper powder-1/2 tsp
turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
cilantro-1 tsp to garnish

Method: Heat oil and add the whole spices and fry till you smell a beautiful aroma. Next, saute the onions until they turn golden brown. At this point, put the ginger-garlic paste and fry.  Grind the tomatoes and the almonds to a fine paste, pour the paste into the oil and cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Then,  reduce the heat and let cook for ten minutes. 

To make the meat balls, wash and drain all the water from the ground meat and mix in salt, pepper, turmeric powder and set aside. Make 5 balls of the size of an egg. Apply oil on on your fingers and the piece of the cling wrap. Press the ball of meat onto the wrap to make a even, circular disc. Put the egg in the middle of the disc and bring the corners of the wrap and slowly work your way around the boiled egg to coat it evenly with the meat. Once done, remove the wrap and reshape the ball and set aside. Repeat until you are done covering all the eggs. 


Heat 1 cup of oil in a pan and fry the meat balls until they turn golden brown. Remove with  aslotted spoon and put each ball into the simmering gravy. Add water at this point to get the desired consistency. Increase the heat and let the whole mixture come to a boil. Reduce the heat to the lowest and let them cook for five minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with cilantro leaves. Enjoy!

1 comment:

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.