Lemon flavored soup

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

This soup is called Rasam in South India and is made in a number of different ways. I am sure evry household has a different recipe for it. This is how  my Mom makes it and this is one of those things, I never liked to even taste, but as an adult crave for it. I had to call Mom and ask her for the recipe as I was not even aware of what went into making this wonderful soup, perfect for any cold winter day.

Ingredients:

Water-4-5 cups
salt- to taste
lemon juice-2 tbs
cloves of garlic-3
cumin seeds-1 tsp
black pepper powder-1 tsp

for tempering:

oil-1 tsp
mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
asafoetida-a pinch
curry leaves-3-4

Method: Grind the garlic and cumin seeds to a fine paste and set aside. Bring water to a roaring boil and add the ground paste and salt. After two-three minutes, turn off the stove and add the lemon juice. Heat oil in a saute pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and when they start to pop, add the asafoetida followed by the curry leaves. When the curry leaves turn crispy, turn off the stove and pour it on the soup. Enjoy!


1 comment:

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.