Basbousa (Semolina Cake)

Bismillahir Rahanir Raheem

The first time I ate basbousa was back in 1999 when my awesome neighbor from Jordan made it in minutes I was amazed and never cared to ask her for the recipe because I was still in that "experiment stage" of cooking in my own Kitchen .11 years later, another awesome neighbr made the basbousa and i quickly asked her for the recipe and she was kind enough to share it with me. Although I made it months later, it turned out PERFECT:) Thank you S!

Ingredients:

Semolina-2 cups
baking powder-1/2 tsp
salt- a pinch
coconut powder-1/2 cup
sugar-3/4 cup
butter-1 stick (room temp)
yogurt-3/4 cup
rose water-1 tbs
honey-3/4 cup
lemon juice-11/2 tbs
soaked and peeled almonds-as required
eggs-2

Method:Pre-heat oven to a 375 deg F.

Make a sugar syrup with a cup of water, honey, and lemon juice and set aside to cool.


Mix semolina, baking powder, sugar, salt, coconut powder well and set aside. Whisk eggs in a seperate bowl until frothy, add the rose water, yogurt and butter and mix well again. Next, mix the wet and dry ingredients and pour the mixture into a greased pan.With a knife, cut into desired shapes and on each piece, press down an almond. Bake for fifteen minutes or longer or until the bottom turns a golden brown and the top also gets a lighter golden in color and ofcourse, remove it out from the oven only when it passes the tooth-pick test.Run the knife through the cuts already made.

As soon as you remove the cake, pour the sugar syrup and let it sit for ten minutes before serving. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.