Stir -fried Amaranth leaves

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

I love the connection between smell and memory. Smells actually transport us virtually into the past, reminding us of the places and people, whom we might have forgotten literally. I am transported to my Mom's kitchen when she was busily cooking in the kitchen with nutrition for her growing kids in m ind and made sure we ate it at any cost. The things I disliked the most were all the green vegetables and never realized their importance until late into adulthood. I was the pickiest-eater as a child and I wonder, why I wonder my child is picky and often wonder when he will start liking the good foods:) Insha Allah one day...,


Here's the smell of the Amaranth leaves Mom cooked and served with Jawar ki Roti (another thing I never ate as a Child) and wondered if there was just anything other than this Mom serve me:)

Ingredients:

Amaranth leaves-one big bunch
onions-1/2 sliced
garlic pods-2-3, sliced
oil-1-2 tbs
green chillies-2-3, chopped
water-1/2 cup (a pot full for blanching the leaves)
salt-to taste

Method:: Bring water to a rolling boil in a pot. Wash and chop the Amaranth leaves and pop them into the boiling water and turn off the stove. Immediately drain all the hot water and plunge them into cold water. This will help retain the green color of the leaves and keep the crunch in the bite. Heat oil in a pot and add onions followed by the green chillies, garlic, and stir until they turn slightly brown and give out a lovely aroma. At this point, add the blanched leaves and add the water along with salt and cook uncovered for 5-8 minutes or until all the water gets absorbed. Turn off the stove, transfer to a serving bowl and enjoy!


1 comment:

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.