Dahi Bade

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem.

"Dahi Bade" are soft lentil dumplings, fried and soaked in thick yogurt sauce and is a popular snack, served while breaking fasts in Ramadan. I look forward to eating this snack , as I love it's melt-in-the-mouth texture and the way it soothes your hunger. There are many different ways of making them and this is how I like it and so does my family. The picture in this recipe shows a large quantity I had made for a lot of guests but this recipe is good enough for a family of four.

Ingredients:

Urad daal-2 cups(washed, soaked and ground to a fine paste for 4 hours)
salt-to taste
water-2-3 cups cup
 yougurt-4 cups
oil- good enough for frying

for tempering...

oil-2-3 tsps
curry leaves-5-6
mustard seeds-1 tsp
cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
dry red chillies-4-5

Method:  Put salt into the batter,  mix well and set aside. In a serving bowl, mix yogurt, salt, and water to get a thick consistency. Heat oil in a pan and drop a tbs full of the lentil paste and fry until golden brown in color. Remove the dumplings with a slotted spoon onto a plate and let it cool down a bit. Put the cooled dumplings into the yogurt sauce. In a saute pan, add some of the hot oil, and put the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and let them sizzle and pop. Add the red chillies, and fry for a couple seconds, followed by the curry leaves. Turn off the stove and pour the tempering on top of the soaking lentil dumplings happily soaking in the yogurt sauce. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.