Rogan Josh

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

Rogan Josh is a rich and aromatic lamb curry, hailing from Kashmir in India,  cooked with the most fragrant spices. It takes on its characteristic red hue from the use of bright-colored kashmiri chilli powder. It requires no roasting and grinding of ingredients at all! It is fairly simple to make this curry., however requires slow cooking and might take longer to cook than other ways of fast-cooking:) Here's how I cooked my curry...

Ingredients:

Lamb meat-2 lbs washed and drained(lean shoulder meat)
salt-to taste
turmeric powder-1 tsp
red chilli powder-2 tsps
ginger-garlic paste-1 1/2 tsp
Onion- 1 large, sliced 
cloves-6
cardamom pods-6
cinnamon stick-3 one inch pieces
caraway seeds-1/2 tsp
star anise-2
mace-3-4 pieces
Oil2-3 tbs
tomato puree-1 cup
yogurt-1 cup
fresh mint leaves-1 tsp, chopped
green pepper-2. slit

Method: Marinate the meat in yogurt, salt, turmeric powder, chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste for an hour in the refrigerator. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pot and throw in the whole spices and wait for a brief minute until they turn slightly brown. Put the sliced onions and saute them until they turn crisp and golden brown. At this point, add the marinated meat and cook on high heat for ten minutes until all the juices are released. Give it a stir and lower the heat to a medium and cook for 20 minutes. Make sure you are checking on it and stirring frequently to avoid burning. Now, pour the tomato puree, mix well and increase the heat to a medium high for a couple of minutes until it gives out a fragrant aroma. Reduce the heat to the lowest and let cook for five more minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and slit green pepper. Enjoy!





5 comments:

  1. This curry sounds so delightful! I had seen it before in some cookbooks but would love to finally try it myself with your directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good mA is it okay if i omit star anise and mace?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Rabiya, I am sure you will do OK, even if you want to exclude the star anise and the mace insha ALlah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I have an unopened bag of star anise sitting in my kitchen cabinet ..now I could put it to use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely delicious! The flavor combos in this sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.