Sambar

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem

There are a lot of things, I never wanted to cook as a young girl and left it to my Mom to make it and believed it needs special skills to make:) Sambar was one of them and even as an adult, I tend to forget the recipe for Sambar even after my Mom tells me how to make it over the phone. But, this morning when I read the recipe posted on a very wonderful blog, www.zaiqa.net , I told myself, that I must try to make it and follow Mona's recipe and tweak it here and there and in general follow my instincts in making.., and..., I did it. The result was one falvorful, tangy, spicy aromatic daal Masha Allah!


Here's what it needs...

Ingredients:

Tur daal-1 cup
turmeric powder-1 tsp, divided
Oil2-3 tbs
mixed vegetables- 2 cups(drumsticks,eggplant,carrots, peas, pearl onions)
tomatoes-2, cut into big cubes
asafoetida-1/2 tsp
green chillies-4
tamarind juice-1 cup
curry leaves

for the sambar mix....to be roasted and ground

urad daal-2 tsp
methi seeds-1/2 tsp
cumin seeds-1 tsp
coriander seeds-3 tsps
dry red chillies-4
salt-to taste

Method: Pressure cook daal with enough water , when cooled, mash or blend using a hand blender and set aside. In a big pot, pour oil and let it warm up a little bit. Put asafoetida, pearl onions and stir a little. Then add green chillies, followded by the cut vegetables, tomotoes and the curry leaves. Cook for a little bit adding just a tad bit of water to make sure the vegetables get cooked and dont lose their shape. Put salt, turmeric powder, sambar mix and the tamarind juice and let it cook for a couple minutes. Then add the mashed daal and bring to a boil. Make sure the consistency is not too thick r too watery, just perfect. Taste to see if salt and the heat from chillies is right or make some addition. Lower the heat for a few minutes and transfer to a serving bowl. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.