Khichdi (Rice with moong daal)

Bismillahir Rahmanir Raheem.

Amazing! is what my husband said after he tasted this  Khichdi on a cold afternoon, served with Almond chutney and Kheema fry. It is a kid's favourite and adults enjoy it too. 

Ingredients:

Rice 2 cups
moong daal-1/2 cup
salt- to taste
oil-2 tbs
onions-1/2 finely sliced
ginger-garlic paste- 1 1/2 tsp
green chillies- 4, cut 
cilantro-2 tbs, finely chopped
mint leaves-1 tbs, chopped
cloves-4
cardamom-4 cinnamon-4 1 inch pieces
caraway seeds- 1 tsp
water-5 cups

  
Method: Soak rice  after washing in cold water for 30 minutes. Dry roast moong daal and set aside.Heat oil in a pot, put cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, caraway seeds and let them brown a little bit. Add onions and saute until golden brown. Put ginger-garlic paste and fry until it turns golden brown. Drain water from the rice and put it along with the roasted daal into the pot and fry until you see the grains of rice and daal get crisp. Pour water nd put the cilantro, mint leaves and green chillies and cook on high heat , with the lid on until water starts to boil. Reduce heat and cook on low heat until you see the steam escape from the lid. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with green chillies. Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for that different dish nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM I tried this and it was good! I've never cooked with moong beans before, but they're quite good (especially when toasted). Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am proud of you Shireen. Thanks for trying it out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your visit to my Blog. Do let me know what you think about the Post. Also, if you have attempted to cook following my recipe, tell me how it came out.